Drive-Through Window Revelations: Paving a Path to Success

Rain on the Horizon - cc photo by J. Delp

This afternoon, on our way home from school, my daughter asked if we could get some french fries from a near-by fast food restaurant. As we pulled up to the first window of the drive-through, I was greeted by a former student who is currently a junior in high school. After a brief conversation, we made our way to the second window, where another former student asked, "Mr. Delp, do you remember me?" I did remember him. I asked how he was doing, and what he had been up to lately. I recognized a faint look of embarrassment as he responded that he was working full time, quickly adding that he was trying to get back in school. Before driving off, I gave him a few words of encouragement, and told him to come see me if he needed help.

If you have followed me on Twitter, or have read my writing, you know that I have a passion for working with junior high school students -- especially those who face adversity, those who are marginalized, and those who are considered to be "at risk." Along with my colleagues, I have worked very hard to create a school environment that appropriately challenges a diverse student population while being empathetic to the unique circumstances of students who have experienced poverty, trauma, and a sustained lack of success in school.

This work involves many dedicated educators coaxing broken souls from their shells of inadequacy and rebuilding a resilient child through positive relationships, constant encouragement, and overwhelming support. It is extremely challenging work. "Climbing into the pit" with students who have experienced a significant number of adverse life experiences is mentally, physically, and emotional exhausting work for all who have a vested interest. The entire process is typically a roller-coaster ride of highs and lows. However, with sustained effort, the ride gradually levels out and, with a bit of luck, you are blessed to witness a student begin a positive transformation with renewed confidence, pride, and determination. It doesn't always end up that way. In fact, in most cases you don't get to witness immediate results of the work, but seeing a student begin that "shift" makes the effort worthwhile.

Today, one of our school counselors and I were discussing one of these students who has overcome overwhelming challenges to experience significant growth as a student, and as a person. While the two of us talked about how proud we are of this student's success, we also expressed concerns about ensuring that she has the support she needs in order to finish the current school year and successfully transition to high school. It would be so easy for her to get lost in the shuffle.

As a result of my conversations with our counselor, and with my former student at the fast food restaurant, I have recognized yet another element of my work where I need to improve. I have to do a better job of paving the way to success for our students as they transition to a high school setting -- particularly those kids who are just beginning to "right the ship." We have worked hard to build relationships, establish trust, and rekindle a spirit of determination, but as a school leader I need to be certain that I am communicating our efforts with educators at the next level who can monitor and support these students.  Our goal should be to ensure that every student goes to high school with a support system in place that encourages them to continue on their path to improvement. It is something that shouldn't be left to chance.

As for the young man from the fast food restaurant, I hope he will come and see me. I hope he will get back in school. As a matter of fact, I think it will be worth a few more trips to the drive-through window to see if we can make that happen.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Social and Emotional Differentiation: Every Student, Every Day

4 Reasons We Use Instagram to Tell Our School Story

Perseverance Factors: What Keeps Us Going?